Boom and Voila – Compatible with OS X Mountain Lion

July 25th, 2012

The rumor mills would need to find a new story, as Apple’s next-gen Mac OS 10.8 aka ‘OS X Mountain Lion’ is releasing today, July 25. The “world’s most advanced desktop operating system” as touted on its website, can be downloaded from the Mac App Store.

Apple is releasing newer newer OSs or newer/improved devices much faster than a developer could finish coding their update for the OS X Lion or retina-fying the app/website! It’s a challenge to keep up to Apple’s pace and we have thousands of users asking if Boom Mac volume booster and Voila screen capture-cum-screen recorder are ready for the OS X Mountain Lion.

And the good news is, ‘yes’! The brilliant team here at Global Delight pulled up their socks and started working every single day to make Boom and Voila compatible with the OS X Mountain Lion. Thanks to some of our beta users (mostly Developers, as only they have early access to the Developer Builds of Mountain Lion) who helped with testing and reporting bugs/issues. The newer versions of Boom and Voila would be available to all the non-Mac App Store users, so look out for the update message. The Mac App Store users of Boom and Voila might have to wait for few more days, as the App Store team is yet to review and approve our submission. We wanted to release both the App Store and non-App store versions simultaneously but we hope the waiting may not be more than a week or two for the App Store users.

In any case, the updates are free to all the existing users of Boom v1.x and Voila v3.x respectively. The apps are not yet retina-fied but we’ve it in our to-do list, stay tuned. As usual, feel free to report feedback, feature suggestions or issues on our forum or email them.

If you have not yet tried Boom – a system-wide Mac volume booster and equalizer – download the free 7-day trial. If you like it, you will not un-install it, you can buy a copy from our Online Store or from the Mac App Store.

And, if you are looking for a screen capturing, screen recording or an advanced image-editing tool, download Voila and try free for 15 days. You can buy this useful tool from our Online Store or from the Mac App Store.

Tip- How to upgrade to OS X Mountain Lion?: If you bought your Mac prior to June 11, 2012, then head straight to Mac App Store and hit the download button (paid upgrade) next to the Mountain Lion listing. And if you got your new Mac on or after June 11, 2012, you can upgrade your OS X for free with Apple’s OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program.

~Guruprasad

1. Diego Sabino
    July 26th, 2012 at 06:53 | #1

Installation on this screen is not concluded.

2. July 26th, 2012 at 22:37 | #2

I am having trouble with Boom on my Mac mini. When I am playing music the sound goes off. I look in the sound control panel and there is something called a Boom device. It keeps switching to the Boom Device even though I select headphones (where my speakers are connected) and then the sound goes off. I just updated to OS X 10.8 yesterday and this just started to happen this morning.

3. July 27th, 2012 at 00:33 | #3

@steve long

The same for me. Hopefully the new Boom Update gets approved quickly.

4. July 27th, 2012 at 21:56 | #4

@Diego Sabino Could you send more details of your system and OS to our support along with the info this is from site build or from the Mac App Store build.

5. July 27th, 2012 at 22:02 | #5

@steve long @Markus: Please get in touch with the support team so that can we can analyze this. By the way, when Boom is running “Boom Device” can be seen in the Sound Preference. This is Boom audio component and delivers sound output to your Mac via the OS. It wouldn’t switch unless you “Turn-Off” Boom or Quit the app.

6. Patrick Strodel
    July 28th, 2012 at 22:32 | #6

OSX 10.8 App Store Build 1.4 and Site Build 1.5 I am having a problem with no audio after waking my MBP after sleep. I can go into the system preferences and select internal audio and the sound will work again. I was running the App Store build and then I upgraded to the 1.5 version from the site and the problem still exists.It’s pretty annoying to have to do this every time.

Some system info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,3
    Processor Name: Intel Core i7
    Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 4
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 8 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
    SMC Version (system): 1.70f5

7. OG
    July 29th, 2012 at 01:04 | #7

I had the same problem. I noticed in the Finder window (top part) that the Boom app was running. I quit the app and I am able to get sound directed to the internal speaker. It looks like the Boom app wants to be the default and only valid sound output. Must be a bug in Mountain Lion to allow this type of app to control a hardware component.

8. PG
    July 29th, 2012 at 19:07 | #8

After Mountain Lion installation my Macbook Pro is having audio issues. After a sleep the laptop disengages the local speakers and attaches to an airplay device in my house – rerouting all sound off the laptop.

The current workaround is to open System Preferences > Sound > Output and choose Internal Speakers.

You will have to do this every time you wake your computer. I assume a software patch is in the works?

9. BoB
    July 30th, 2012 at 10:06 | #9

will not work with mountain lion properly as per all above. need v1.6 to fix this.

10. Mark
    July 30th, 2012 at 14:54 | #10

Same issues here — having to go into preferences every time this happens is very annoying. Boom’s getting uninstalled soon, I fear…

11. Darryl Rehr
    July 31st, 2012 at 19:29 | #11

I have been using BOOM for quite some time. A non-App Store user. After installing Mountain Lion, Boom ceased to function.

I got the update message from within the application.

Now, when I run Boom.app here is what happens:

Panel opens telling me “Click install to set up your Mac for the Boom Experience”

[I click Install]

Panel asks for my password.

[I type in password]

Panel says “Installation Failed / Installation Failed due to an internal error. Please click on Install to retry”

However, this panel has an “OK” button, not an “Install” button.

[I click OK]

New panel opens. It says “Incomplete Installation / Missing some parts. Bad landing. Please reinstall”

[I click OK]

Via “Info” I am able to determine that my version of the Boom.app is “1.5″ I can’t seem to find out if that is the latest version. Nor do I find any way, now, to download any further kind of update.

Please help.

12. David Stevens
    July 31st, 2012 at 21:25 | #12

Since upgrading to Mountain Lion, this is what happens for me…

After a restart, I have no audio out of my Mac Mini. I have to open Sound Preferences (which lists – Headphones, BoomDevice, etc), and select Headphones. The selection immediately jumps back to BoomDevice and audio is output properly.

13. Rodney Grant
    August 1st, 2012 at 09:19 | #13

I am having the same issues with my MacBookPro since upgrading to OS 10.8.

14. Jorge Da Silva
    August 1st, 2012 at 12:30 | #14

Same as Above. Please fix soon

15. Jeremy
    August 2nd, 2012 at 00:49 | #15

Same issues for me in ML, on two computers. Audio will randomly stop working and i have to close Boom and use the internal speakers as the source. This is on two iMacs.

16. Ben
    August 3rd, 2012 at 06:59 | #16

yup. same thing. iTunes and Netflxi have no sound if Boom is on. Have to open Sound preferences and click “internal speakers” under output. Sometimes also messes with my keyboard volume controls. Fix pls!

17. BoB
    August 3rd, 2012 at 22:20 | #17

still no fix. does not work consistently in mountain lion. must regularly open sound prefs and force it to work. boom please admit this as legit issue and then work out a fix. thx

18. Geoff
    August 5th, 2012 at 06:07 | #18

As above. Same issue. Must open System Prefs and hit Internal Speakers before sound will start again.
    Will have to uninstall soon.

19. Andrew
    August 5th, 2012 at 06:29 | #19

Same as above! Fix it now, infidels!

20. Joseph
    August 5th, 2012 at 11:27 | #20

When I open my MBP with OSX Mountain Lion, I have to the press “option” key while clicking the “sound preferences” icon on the top right of my display and then press “Internal Speakers” to get my sound working while Boom is installed, and sometimes twice, before my computer is capable of generating sound. What should I do to correct this problem?

21. Tim Windsor
    August 5th, 2012 at 21:37 | #21

Same issues as above. Surprised this has not at least been acknowledged here.

22. Marketing Team
    August 5th, 2012 at 22:21 | #22

@Patrick Strodel Thanks for the info. Could you also let us know if you are using Apple TV?

23. Marketing Team
    August 5th, 2012 at 22:25 | #23

@Tim Windsor We have acknowledged this in the Forum – Support section. We’re investigating this issue. We have found that, Apple TV has influence in most of the cases but there could be something else as well. Please get in touch with Boom Support [boom(at)globaldelight(dot)com] to get a beta build to analyze the issue.

24. Marketing Team
    August 5th, 2012 at 22:32 | #24

Dear Boom Users,

Some of you are experiencing ‘no sound’ cases after waking up your Mac from sleep. With the information provided by Boom users, we have identified one of the reason for this issue. When you try to mirror the Mac via Apple TV, there could be a ‘no sound’ glitch.

Some users have reported that they don’t use Apple TV and still they are experiencing the ‘no sound’ glitch. We think we have figured this case and providing a Beta build to verify the same.

In any case, please get in touch with the Boom Support team [boom(at)globaldelight(dot)com] and help us with your Beta feedback so that we can release an update at the earliest. Thanks!

25. Steven
    August 6th, 2012 at 19:47 | #25

Was having the same problems – so reluctantly uninstalled. The problem is gone – but I want my Boom back – so please fix. Running ML on 1 month old MacBook Air.

26. Chris L
    August 6th, 2012 at 21:09 | #26

I am just trying the app out on Mountain Lion and I’m not experiencing trouble, but these posts make me nervous. First of all, the BOOM is so good it’s like my iMac’s speakers have a new life. No more complaining about Netflix streams being too soft with my window unit AC running.

Should I be worried about these problems? Is there any difference between the app store version and the trial I just downloaded? Will rebooting or sleep mode impact me if I don’t use AirPlay or Apple TV?

27. August 7th, 2012 at 11:53 | #27

@Steven Yes, we’re right on it and want to fix the minor glitch asap! Why don’t you mail Boom Support and try out the beta to verify if the issue is fixed? :)

28. August 7th, 2012 at 11:59 | #28

@Chris L Ideally there’s no difference between the site version (trial that you just downloaded) or the App Store version in feature-wise. But, the App Store version which is compatible with the Mountain Lion is “In Review” and we’re waiting for the approval. Once the App Store version comes out, you won’t find any difference even in the version number.

If you are not using Apple TV or AirPlay feature, you will not counter any glitch. And even if you did, just drop us a mail or tweet or post it on the Forum; we’ll look into it immediately.

29. Carolyn Britain
    August 7th, 2012 at 15:45 | #29

I am having same problems. When I shut down and restart, the volume is switched to Apple TV, instead of my internal speakers. I don’t get any sound until I go into settings and change it back every time.

30. Lee Rosen
    August 8th, 2012 at 00:31 | #30

I have now uninstalled as well due to the same problem. Will you do a blog post when you come up with a fix so we’ll know to reinstall? Thanks.

31. August 8th, 2012 at 09:45 | #31

@Carolyn Britain Apologies for the inconvenience. A temporary solution is to Quit Boom while you are using Apple TV. But if are not using Apple TV, you can think of powering it off.

32. August 8th, 2012 at 09:46 | #32

@Lee Rosen There will be a blog post, yes.

33. Lynn
    August 11th, 2012 at 09:41 | #33

I am having the same problem and am not using the airplay or Apple TV with my MacBook Air.

34. Andrew
    August 13th, 2012 at 04:48 | #34

Same issue of needing to go into system preferences and choose internal speakers to get any sound. Once I do that it sometimes shifts over to Boom. Really frustrating.

35. Andrew
    August 15th, 2012 at 10:36 | #35

New update from the mac app store doesn’t resolve this issue.

36. Larry Walker
    August 17th, 2012 at 00:53 | #36

One more data point: I powered my Apple TV off earlier today: just came back from running an errand, and I’ve got no sound after sleep, despite no Apple TV powered on…

1. No trackbacks yet.